Click Here to view the SABC story on SAA’s limited cancellations.
South African Airways (SAA) is consolidating some selected domestic flights between Johannesburg and its domestic airports Cape Town and Durban, and on the international network on selected services between Johannesburg and Munich.
These decisions are in line with SAA’s usual policy of reviewing flights and consolidating services with low demand. Furthermore, during the current process of Business Rescue, these cancellations represent a responsible strategy to conserve cash and optimise the airline’s position ahead of any further capital investment.
The consolidation on the Cape Town route is also necessary as SAA has been operating training flights for pilots on the new state-of-the-art Airbus 350-900 aircraft on this route, before transferring the new planes to international routes.
The introduction of these larger aircraft has resulted in temporary surplus capacity on the domestic route. SAA will be reviewing further possible flight schedule amendments over the coming days.
SAA is working closely with its sister airline, Mango, to re-accommodate passengers on alternative domestic services and will re-accommodate international passengers on its services into Frankfurt (FRA) and London and on Star Alliance partner airlines.
Please check your GDS for news on specific flight schedule amendments.
The following domestic flights operated by SAA have been cancelled:
Johannesburg (JNB) – Cape Town (CPT)
SA303 Depart 0530 Arrive 0735 Dates: 20, 21 & 24 January SA307 Depart 0700 Arrive 0905 Dates: 21 January
Cape Town (CPT) – Johannesburg (JNB)
SA316 Depart 0820 Arrive 1015 Dates: 20, 21 & 24 January SA322 Depart 0950 Arrive 1145 Dates: 21 January
Johannesburg (JNB) – Durban (DUR)
SA527 Depart 0630 Arrive 0735 Dates: 20, 21, 22 & 23 January SA543 Depart 0955 Arrive 1100 Dates: 20, 21, 22 & 23 January SA571 Depart 1655 Arrive 1800 Dates: 20 & 21 January
Durban (DUR) – Johannesburg (JNB)
SA534 Depart 0805 Arrive 0910 Dates: 20, 21, 22 & 23 January SA550 Depart 1130 Arrive 1235 Dates: 20, 21, 22 & 23 January SA578 Depart 1840 Arrive 1945 Dates: 20 & 21 January
The following international flights have been cancelled:
Johannesburg (JNB) – Munich (MUC)
SA264 Depart 2115 Arrive 0700 Dates: 20, 21, 22, 23 & 24 January
Munich (MUC) – Johannesburg (JNB)
SA265 Depart 2030 Arrive 0820 Dates: 20, 21, 22, 23 & 24 January
Re-Accommodation Policy cancellation of JNB-MUC-JNB flights effective 20 January 2020:
· All JNB-MUC-JNB impacted passengers have automatically been re-accommodated onto SAA operated flights between JNB-FRA-JNB.
· Should this option not suit the passenger’s needs, rebook via LON on the SAA operated flight in the lowest applicable RBD. Where possible, rebook onto flight(s) operated by SAA’s Star Alliance partner (LH).
· Waivers to this policy will not be made.
· Tickets to be endorsed “INVOL Sked Chg due SA Low demand/Date”.
· This policy is applicable to South African Airways flights only and does not apply to Mango, SA Express and Airlink, issued on SA (083) ticket stock and not on separate tickets of other airlines.
· Change of cabin will not be permitted.
· All tickets must be reissued on or before 27 January 2020.
· All additional taxes for ticketed passengers will be absorbed by SAA.
· Ensure that passengers meet the necessary VISA requirements.
· Special needs and Unaccompanied Minors will be accommodated on request.
· SAA Reserves the right to amend the policy without prior notice.
· Please check your GDS for news of any further SAA schedule changes or have customers call the UK Call Centre on 0844 375 9680